The CPA Education Foundation of BC is pleased to continue funding the following scholarships and matching awards at BCIT:
CPA Education Foundation Awards:
- CPA Education Foundation Award for Bachelor of Technology ($2,000) – this annual award was established in 1999 and the recipient of this award should demonstrate strong academic achievement and community service. There are two awards made each year. The 2016 recipients are: Danae MacLean and Victoria Tilling.
- CPA Education Foundation Accounting Award ($1,500) – this annual award was established fifty years ago in 1966 for a student with high marks. The 2016 recipient is Regina Capistrano.
CPA Education Foundation Awards based on Enrollment in the CPA Western School of Business:
- CPA Education Foundation Award named as the William B. Hards Memorial Scholarship in Financial Management Diploma Program was established in 1997 ($1,000). The award is presented to a student who has demonstrated both strong academic performance and a course of conduct which benefitted other students in the Diploma program. The recipient must have the intention to enroll in both the BTECH and CPA program. The 2016 recipient is Lynsey Sturgeon.
- CPA Education Foundation Awards named as the R. Glynn Spelliscy Award in the Bachelor of Technology Accounting Degree Program was established in 1995 ($1,000). The award is based on overall achievement in the Financial Management Diploma program to a student who is also accepted into the BTECH in Accounting program. R. Glynn Spelliscy held many positions with the provincial organization and was president of the national organization. The 2016 recipient is Ming Rong Zhang.
- Matching Scholarship in the name of Maharaj & Company Award ($1,000) – established in 2015 as a graduating achievement award for a student in the Accounting – Bachelor of Technology Degree program who has expressed an intention to become a Chartered Professional Accountant and to enter the CPA Western School of Business after graduation, and who has demonstrated community involvement. There were two awards available in the inaugural world which were received by Scott Nissen and Philip Staskiewicz. For 2016, one award is available and the recipient is Jason Kouwenhoven.
- Matching Bursary in the name of Maharaj & Company Award ($1,000) – established in 2016 as a bursary to a full-time undergraduate student graduating from the Accounting – Bachelor of Technology degree program in financial need or if no such student is identified then to be awarded as a graduating achievement award.
The recipients of all of these awards are selected by BCIT.
David Chiang, CPA CA, CPABC’s vice-president of member services was on campus for a tour of BCIT. Chiang said, “the CPA Education Foundation is delighted to continue its support of BCIT students and is proud of having supported BCIT for the past 5 decades.” He added, “congratulations to all the recipients”.
Marie-Claire Concannon, Interim Director, BCIT Alumni Relations and Associate Director, Annual Giving and Stewardship said, “we are grateful for [the CPAEF’s] commitment and generosity. Thank you again for your gift and for supporting BCIT students in such a personal way.”